Recently we made review Huawei Honor V10 smartphone. We think that it is competitor to OnePlus 5T. it comes with full screen design, 18:9 display, powerful and efficient chipset, dual camera, etc. However, the other day it became known that Honor V10 will be available only in China (the start of sales began on 5.12) and will not reach European countries. Also it will not appear under a different name.
However, it is not necessary to be upset, because already tomorrow, on December 7 the Chinese manufacturer will present a copy of Honor V10 in a glass body called Huawei Nova 2S. This model should definitely leave the PRC limits and please customers all over the world. Since the announcement will be in a few hours, we know almost everything about Huawei Nova 2s.
It is reported that new smartphone will receive dual and dual front cameras. So let’s make first review and find its main features.
Huawei Nova 2s: Design
Huawei already has a smartphone called Nova 2, but without a prefix S. It would seem that only one letter, and how much it carries in itself. You should be carefull when buy new smartphone. The usual Nova 2 is not bezel-less, metal, works on Kirin 659 processor, comes with 5-inch 16:9 display and without a front fingerprint reader.
Huawei Nova 2s is a completely glass smartphone with a metal frame and full screen design. It has big 6-inch display with 18:9 aspect ratio. Undoubtedly, smartphone is very beautiful and attractive. Also, we should pay tribute to designers of Nova 2s, because new smartphone has front fingerprint reader.
On the back side you can see dual camera and flashlight. Interestingly, Honor V10 received a similar design almost 100%, but it has metal body. No less beautiful, but more reliable.
Huavei Nova 2s: Specifications
- Colors: black, gold and turquoise;
- Glass Gorilla Glass 5 and metal frame;
- 6 inches, IPS-matrix, 2160 x 1080 pixels, 403 ppi, 18: 9 format, brightness 430 nits, takes up to 79%;
- Chip HiSilicon Kirin 960, 8-core, 4 cores Cortex-A73 to 2.4 GHz + 4 cores Cortex-A53 with frequency up to 1.8 GHz, 16 nm FinFet, 64-bit, coprocessor i6;
- Graphics: Mali-G71 MP8;
- RAM: 4/6 GB of LPDDR4 type, 2×1833 MHz;
- ROM: 64/128 GB + support for Micro SD;
- Main camera: 16 MP + 20 MP monochrome, f / 1.8, PDAF AF, OS system, 6 lenses from Leica, video recording in 4K;
- Self-camera: dual with a resolution of 20 and aperture f / 2.0;
- Fingerprint reader and face scanner;
- Sound amplifier (audio chip Hi6403);
- Two Nano SIM;
- 4G LTE Category 12 – download up to 600 Mbps;
- 802.11a / b / g / n / ac, 2.4 + 5.0 GHz, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, USB Type-C 2.0, 3.5 mm minijack;
- GPS / A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou;
- 3340 mAh battery with fast charge support (18W);
- Android 8.0 Oreo + shell Emotion UI 8.0;
- Antutu to 125 000 points;
- Price: from $400 for 4/64 GB and up to $460 for 6/128 GB.
Huavei Nova 2s: Performance
Huawei company decided to use its own flagship chipset from 2016 called Kirin 960. It consists of high-performance Cortex-A73 and energy-efficient cores Cortex-A53. The maximum core frequency does not exceed 2.4 GHz. Graphics accelerator Mali-G71 has 8 cores, while the process technology is 16 nanometers.
As for performance, it can be safely compared to Qualcomm Snapdragon 820. It used in all top-end devices until mid-2016. We can say that Novo 2s can easily get about 125000 points in AnTuTu. No doubt, the smartphone will launch all games on maximum graphics settings.
If we talk about memory, Nova 2s comes in basic model with 4/64 GB, and more powerful version with 6/128 GB. Other versions are not mentioned yet, but there is a high probability of Huawei Nova 2s with 6/64 GB.
Huavei Nova 2s: Display
To be honest, there is nothing to talk. It is good, as many other flagships on the market. Also, it does not differ from display in Honor V10.
Nova 2s display has 6 inches, 18:9 aspect ratio, Full HD+ resolution, brightness above 400 nits, etc. Thanks to think bezels, the display occupies up to 80% of the front panel area.
Huavei Nova 2s: Cameras
It seems that camera is the only part that is not exactly known. However, it is reported that the main camera will have two sensors: 16MP (color) and 20MP (black and white). The aperture will be f/1.8. So, it is complete analogy of Honor V10, although we still do not know how it takes photos.
No one has been testing the camera yet. However, we can expect stunning photo quality in daylight due to 6 lenses from Leica. Also, smartphone should take good pictures in the evening thanks to high-speed optics.
As for the front camera, some sources say that it will have 2 sensors of 20 MP each. We don’t think so, because it is almost impossible. However, 20 MP + 12 MP is more likely option.
Naturally, selfie camera with two sensors is necessary to achieve a bokeh effect in portraits.
Huavei Nova 2s: Battery
The capacity of battery Nova 2s will have 3340 mAh with support fast charging (18W). This should be enough for one and a half to two days of use, especially since Nova 2s will work on the latest Android 8.0 OS with EUI 8.0 on top.
Huawei Nova 2s: Release date and price
So, on December 7 Huawei plans to officially announce its new smartphone Nova 2s at following prices:
- 4/64 GB version for $393;
- 6/128 GB version for $453.
Huawei Nova 2s vs Honor V10
Although both devices are very similar to each other, they are also different. The differences are not too much, but for someone they will be very critical.
- First, it is body materials. Honor V10 is full metal phone, while Nova 2s offers a sandwich made of glass and metal. They both look great.
- The chipsets also different. Nova 2s works on flagship Kirin 960 from 2016, and Honor V10 is equipped with new Kirin 970 processor. The chipsets differ from each other with graphics – Mali-G71 vs Mali-G72. So, Honor V10 should have about 30000 points more in Antutu, than Nova 2s.. The second important point is that Kirin 970 has neuromorphic standalone NPU processor, while Kirin 960 does not. It means that Honor V10 has machine learning (determining user preferences, improving portrait modes, etc.), and Nova 2s is not suitable for learning;
- Improved communication modem. Kirin 960 offers LTE Cat. 12 with a maximum download speed of up to 600 Mbps, and Kirin 970 has LTE Cat modem. 18 – download up to 1.2 Gb/s.
- The main cameras for both devices are the same, but the front sensors are different. Moreover, Huawei Nova 2s has as many as two selfie cameras and one of them at 20 MP, while Honor V10 has only single 13MP camera;
- Battery capacity. The difference is not critical, but nevertheless, 400 mAh will be missed in Nova 2s;
- The price. Interestingly, basic models of Honor V10 and Nova 2s cost almost the same: $409 and $393, respectively. But more powerful versions differ drastically: $530 for the first and $453 for the second. A little strange pricing policy, do you agree?
If you choose a smartphone for yoursefl, then we recommend to buy Honor V10, because it has better chipset, and it costs only $15 more in basic model.