Snapdragon 845 was the best mobile chipset in 2018. All flagship smartphones are powered by this processor. What about next most powerful chipset from Qualcomm? We already received first information about upcoming flagship chipset, and it will be called Qualcomm Snapdragon 8150. By tradition, Qualcomm presents its new processors in December, so we should wait a little.
While everyone was waiting for Snapdragon 855, the Qualcomm decided to name it Snapdragon 8150. Or will it be two different processors? We do not know exactly yet. However, we already know some details about Snapdragon 8150, so let’s make first review.
Snapdragon 8150: Compare with Huawei Kirin 980
We want to compare Qualcomm Snapdragon 8150 and Huawei Kirin 980. The fact is that Kirin 980 processor was announced in early 2018, but there are no smartphones on this chipset yet.
We are sure that Qualcomm has been developing its chipset for several months, but it was silent all this time, so we’ll take Kirin 980 to be the pioneer. The new Snapdragon 8150 will receive a new three-cluster basis with the distribution of cores of Gold+, 2 cores of powerful Gold and 4 cores of energy saving Silver. Huawei used a similar architecture, so one could even say that Qualcomm spied the decision from the Chinese competitor.
Although, to be completely honest, Mediatek used the three-cluster system even in Helio X20 two years ago, but their implementation failed. After that Mediatek refused to produce flagship chipsets at all.
Snapdragon 8150 will have 7-nanometer process technology. It is not new because of Apple A12 Bionic and Kirin 980.
As you know, right now Kirin 980 is the best processor in AnTuTu rating. The processor is really difficult to get. The first three places are occupied by Huawei Mate 20, Mate 20 Pro and Mate 20X. After that, Xiaomi Black Shark Helo is on Snapdragon 845, but this is a gaming smartphone with overclocked cores and graphics, while it still lags 11000 points behind the leader.
Will Snapdragon 8150 be able to surpass 311840 points or is Qualcomm’s former glory as the most powerful chipset manufacturer now really?
However, we are sure that Snapdragon 8150 will tear Kirin 980 in terms of graphics and processor cores. The fact that Kirin 980 has everything referential, while Qualcomm personally develops the graphics core and very much modifies the processor cores.
So the most powerful Cortex-A76 turns into Kryo Gold and Gold+, while Cortex-A55 into Kryo Silver. As for the neuroblock, it’s controversial, since Kirin Neural Engine is very good and not much inferior to AI solution found in the latest generation of Apple processors. Qualcomm promises an AI block, which generally takes up most of the space of a single-chip system. But who will be the best – we will know it very soon.
Snapdragon 8150: Specifications
- CPU: 2 x Kryo Gold+ up to 2.60 GHz + 2 x Kryo Gold up to 2 GHz + 4 x Kryo Silver up to 1.7 GHz;
- GPU: Adreno 650 with a frequency of up to 650 MHz;
- NPU: is;
- Screen: Wide 4K UltraHD, 9:16, 9:18, 9:19, 9:20
- RAM: LPDDR4x (Quad Channel) up to 2133 MHz, up to 16 GB;
- Flash memory: UFS 2.1, eMMC 5.1, SD / SDHC / SDXC memory cards up to 256 GB;
- Communications: Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ad;
- Bluetooth: version 5.1;
- Navigation: GPS + A-GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo;
- NFC: yes;
- USB: 3.0;
- Modem: Snapdragon X50 with support for 5G networks, LTE Category: Cat. 21 – download up to 1.4 Gbit/s; Cat. 18 – return up to 200 Mbit/s;
- Maximum camera resolution: 48 MP;
Video recording: 4K UltraHD (3840 x 2160 pixels) with a frequency of up to 120 fps;
- Maximum video recording speed: 960 fps;
- Music playback: 24 bit / 192 kHz, support for Qualcomm Aqstic and Dolby 5.1;
- Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Hexagon 690, Qualcomm All-Ways Aware technology;
- Fast charging: Quick Charge 5.0 with power up to 40 Watts;
- Other: IZat Gen8C support
- Process technology: 7 nm.
Source: winfutureFollow us in social media: