Some days ago we wrote about new series of budget smartphones from Xiaomi called Lanmi. The first device in this series should become Xiaomi X1 with a frameless design. However, on July 26, the Chinese manufacturer decided to introduce another smartphone Xiaomi Mi5X.
Why we are interested in this Android phone? Dual camera devices for Xiaomi will not surprise anyone. This time Xiaomi decided to create a clone of iPhone 7 Plus and OnePlus 5 , as well as Nubia Z17.
New smartphone Xiaomi Mi5X will be released in two versions: Snapdragon 625 and Snapdragon 660. In this review we answer the question – is it worth the $300?
Xiaomi Mi5X Design
The first thing to note is the slim body of new smartphone. Xiaomi Mi5C was similar in thickness, but then the company decided to reduce the battery capacity to achieve this result, which is not typical for it. At this time, experiments with the battery should be bypassed, if only because Xiaomi Mi5X will receive a display with a diagonal of 5.5 inches, and not 5.15 inches.
The second interesting point is the location of 3.5 mm connector for headphones. It is on the bottom left. This is a clear advantage even before Xiaomi Mi6 flagship, since the latter does not have 3.5 mm jack at all.
Also Xiaomi Mi5X has USB Type-C port for charging and synchronizing with computer.
As we said, it looks like iPhone 7 Plus, but it is made very high quality. All-metal body with thin neat plastic dividers and double camera – all stylish and beautiful. Overall, Xiaomi Mi5X is somewhat average between iPhone 7 Plus and Xiaomi Mi Max 2.
Xiaomi Mi5X Performance
As for the specifications, Xiaomi MI5X is guaranteed to get Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, 4GB of RAM and 32 GB of internal memory. Also there will be Pro version with dual-camera and Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 processor, 6GB of RAM and 64GB of ROM.
The rest specifications are quite standard: 5.5-inch Full HD display, 12 megapixel dual camera like Xiaomi Mi6, 8MP front sensor and Android 7.0. By the way, Xiaomi Mi5X will come with new user interface MIUI 9.
Xiaomi Mi5X specifications
- Body materials: anodized aluminum and tempered glass;
- Screen parameters: 5.5 inches, IPS panel, 1920×1080 pixels, density 401 ppi, display format 16:9, contrast ratio 1:1500, brightness from 1 to 600 nits;
- Mi5X – Qualcomm Snapdragon 625, 8-core Cortex-A53, frequency up to 2.0 GHz, 14 nanometers, 64-bit;
- Mi5X Pro – Qualcomm Snapdragon 660, 8-core Kryo 260, frequency up to 2.2 GHz, 14 nanometers, 64-bit;
- Graphics: Adreno 506 with a frequency of 700 MHz / Adreno 512 with a frequency of 650 MHz;
- RAM: 4 GB LPDDR3 (one channel 933 MHz) or two-channel 6 GB LPDDR4 with a frequency up to 1866 MHz;
- Storage: 32 GB eMMC 5.1 or 64 GB UFS 2.0;
- Main camera: two sensors with 12 megapixels Sony IMX362 + IMX386, dual flash, stabilization of pictures on 4 axes, phase autofocus, optical zoom 2x;
- Front camera: 8 MP, aperture f / 2.0;
- The fingerprint reader (on the back side);
- USB Type-C and 3.5 mm minidjack connector;
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac and Bluetooth 5.0 LE, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou;
- SIM: Dual SIM dual stand by – one radio module;
- Network: LTE Cat 12, max. Transmission speed up to 600 Mbps;
- Battery: 3850 mAh, Quick Charge 3.0;
- Android 7.0 + MIUI 9;
- Antutu: 65000 scores for Snapdragon 625 and 105000 scores for Snapdragon 660;
- Price: basic version – $220, Pro version – from $295.
As we already mentioned, Xiaomi Mi5X with Snapdragon 660 processor will be an excellent competitor to Oppo R11. The advantage of Oppo R11 is front fingerprint sensor and AMOLED-matrix, but Xiaomi Mi5X has much lower price, almost twice. Oppo R11 is sold in Middle Kingdom for $485, but the competitor from Xiaomi will receive a price tag of $295.
Xiaomi Mi5X release date, price, buy
We expected to see Xiaomi X1 frameless smartphone on July 26, but seems it will not happen. The company will present two versions of Xiaomi Mi5X on Snapdragon 625/660 processors. Prices are expected as follows:
- Xiaomi Mi5X with Snapdragon 625 and 4/32 GB – from $220;
- Xiaomi Mi5X with Snapdragon 660 and 6/64 GB – from $295.