Xiaomi announced its Christmas gift for fans. The Chinese manufacturer will release a new smartphone called Xiaomi Mi Play on December 24th. We already know almost everything about upcoming smartphone, and we have first photos. So, we prepared first review of Xiaomi Mi Play.
Until yesterday’s announcement, many people think that Xiaomi is going to announce new smartphone from Redmi series. There were many rumors about Redmi 7 and Redmi 7 Pro. However, now we know that it will be Xiaomi Mi Play.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Specifications
- Body: tempered glass and metal;
- Display: 5.84-inches, IPS-panel, 2280×1080 pixels, density 42PPI, glass 2.5D, format 19: 9, occupies about 86% of the usable area;
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 or Snapdragon 710, eight cores up to 2.3GHz
- GHz, 64-bit, 14/10 nm process technology, respectively;
- Graphics accelerator: Adreno 512/616, frequency 700 MHz;
- RAM: 4GB or 6GB, LPDDR4X, 2×2133 MHz;
- ROM: 64GB or 128GB + memory cards;
- Main camera: 12 MP + 5MP, shooting video up to 4K @ 30 fps;
- Front camera: 16 MP with f/2.2 + 8 MP, face recognition;
- Number of SIM-cards: dual nano;
- Support LTE Cat.12 – download 600 Mbit/s, the return of 100 Mbit/s;
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n 2.4 + 5 GHz, Bluetooth 5.0, Type-C 2.0, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou;
- Fingerprint scanner: there is, on the back surface;
- Battery: 3000 mAh, fast charging;
- Operating system: Android 8.1 MIUI 10 user interface;
- Dimensions: 147.76 x 71.89 x 7.8 mm;
- Weight: 150 g;
- Price: about $250.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Design
The design of new smartphone says about the main audience of Xiaomi Mi Play – young people. It comes in bright color options. Also, the advertising of Xiaomi new smartphone looks very bright and attracts attention, as teenagers like.
In general, Xiaomi Mi Play looks similar to Honor Play, because of the glass back panel. It is strange, because earlier Xiaomi copied mainly Apple, and now Huawei? Perhaps Xiaomi is trying to hint who actually is the market leader?
But jokes aside. Yes, the design is copied and it is not very good, but is it bad for the user? No. The smartphone looks nice. There are interesting body colors. Instead of the big notch above the screen, Xiaomi Mi Play has a small waterdrop notch with front camera.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Display
The smartphone is quite compact, because it is equipped with a small display for 2018 – 5.84-inches. The screen resolution is Full HD+. The bezels around the display are very thin. Xiaomi Mi Play has similar dimensions to Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Performance
Although we don’t know the full specifications list yet, it is clear that Xiaomi Mi Play will be budget or mid-range smartphone. First, the smartphone has Snapdragon processor with a frequency of up to 2.3 GHz and RAM type of LPDDR4X. It means that the chipset is modern and powerful, but it is impossible to predict exactly the processor model.
Most likely, it will be Snapdragon 660, because it has a frequency of up to 2.3 GHz. Honestly, it will be a great processor for Xiaomi Mi Play.
Secondly, there will be 4GB or 6GB of RAM, and 64GB or 128GB of internal memory with microSD support.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Camera
Not much is known about the cameras. The main camera is dual, but right now we know only about its resolution – 12-megapixels. Most likely, the secondary sensor will be 5MP. There is information about 8MP front camera.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Battery
Here is the first problem of new smartphone. The first leaks say about 3000mAh battery in Xiaomi Mi Play. It is really small battery for 2018. Also, Mi Play should be the gaming smartphone, but you cannot expect long battery life with 3000mAh battery.
Moreover, if Xiaomi Mi Play is designed for teenagers and your people, then the smartphone should have much bigger battery for heavy games and apps. We hope that Mi Play will have fast charging, about which nothing is known yet.
That’s all for now! We will learn more about new smartphone on December 24th, when Xiaomi Mi Play will be officially presented in China.
Xiaomi Mi Play: Price
As we already said, the official price will be announced on presentation, December 24th, but we expect it will be about $250.