Financing of education in the U.S.

Financing of education in the U.S.


Education in the United States due to the following expenditures: this tuition and living expenses.

In the U.S., the cost of training varies quite significantly between public and private universities and colleges. In any case we should not assume that a higher fee guarantees the best quality of education. As a rule, state universities it is lower than in private. Lowest cost of training – the so-called local and vocational colleges.

Living expenses will depend on the city in which you plan to study. In major metropolitan areas in California and some of the north-western states of the cost of living is higher than, for example, or in the southern states in the Midwest.


Below is the approximate cost of study in the U.S. for foreign students for the 2008-2009 school year. More accurate information you will be notified in the required school.
Local year community colleges
2713 per year

Public colleges and state universities with four-year training programs (the cost for residents of other states, and therefore foreigners)
19595 per year
Private colleges and universities with four-year training programs
27293 per year
Source: Council for Higher Education, Annual analytical review


Student hostels in almost all American universities and colleges. Typically, the dorms have everything you need for comfortable living room offers a single, two or more people.
Some campuses have guest houses, apartments in which mainly distributed among graduate students and married students.

The second option – rent a private room or apartment, furnished or without. Most universities maintain databases on the proposed private housing. You can find suitable housing and through advertisements in local newspapers. Third, and very popular option – stay with a local family. It is particularly suitable for those who have yet to adapt to life in America.

Although the average figures do not always reflect all possible costs, housing costs are powered up from seven to nine thousand dollars a year.

To learn how to find accommodation while studying abroad , you can also read on the English site Hotcourses.

Financial aid

Most U.S. institutions have scholarships and grants for international students, but they must be earned. Usually they are assigned based on the needs of students and are issued to those who have excellent academic results, or, for example, excelling in sports, in the arts (performance art), etc. Find you are interested in the education of their available scholarships or funding options for international students.

Also, try to find out in their own country, if you have the opportunity to receive financial support for training in the United States – for example, from government agencies, private businesses or other institutions.

Remittances in the U.S.

While abroad, you will need to get out of the house money for tuition, housing and other expenses.
The quickest and most inexpensive way – to transfer money through a reliable company carrying out foreign exchange transactions. One of the world leaders in this market is the company “World First”. It is fast, easy and safe. Transfers through the “World First” is much cheaper than similar services to banks.

“World First” specially developed services for students living abroad, trying to give them the most favorable conditions. In “World First” better exchange rate for amounts over £ 5000 transfer commission will be charged.

What does this mean for students:

• Due to the favorable exchange rate, you can save up to 4% on the costs of tuition and living expenses
• Transfers are made quickly and worldwide
• Services “World First” – a good alternative to credit cards
• Transfers are paid out in the desired currency
• The exchange rate can be fixed for two years ahead
• For regular tuition convenient schemes used
• Offices “World First” located in most countries of the world and many of them are open around the clock
Register online at “First World”: / openaccount
or call +44 (0) 20 7801 9080 or 0800 783 6022.
Request more information or e-mail:

Work while studying in the U.S.

Students, who came to the U.S. on a student visa F-1 or M-1, are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during class and full-time during vacations and holidays. As a rule, work on campus – is the work in the library, in support services, in cafes and diners.

After the first year you can go to the American service of Citizenship and Immigration for a work permit, which is received, you can work on and off campus, although in this case, you will act restriction referred to above – 20 hours per week during class and full-time during vacations and holidays. More information on this can be obtained in the international management of your university or college.